Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'm a nut.

So I've been acting irrationally lately...

I was up in the middle of the night and re-read my "flashback to high school" post and deleted it. WHY? Because I let out a secret of my sister's (You want to know what it is? go here.), I threw a fit because I never had a car in high school (ya, I didn't actually get a car until I was married.. unfortunate lou--ooser?), and I was kind of harsh toward my parents for their overwhelming concern for me back then (which I now redefine as overwhelming love.. I'm a parent, I get it). Probably wasn't that bad. I deleted it though so it's gone forever...

THEN, I start reading the KSL news report about the dangers of blogging.. very risky business, for sure. I immediately noticed I had my first and last name posted on there, and YIKES, it was even in my blog address. How naive am I? Really, how paranoid am I? So then I change my blog address. I can't believe I figured out how to do it by myself. What I would like to know is how to set up my friends/family listing to show when people update their blogs so I don't have to waste my lifespan, checking through everyone's blogs to see if they've posted new stuff! Also, I want to know how to see who else is on my blog.. is that possible??

Strange behavior. Gotta love it. Anyway, I LOVE blogging! I'm just not going to post my address, phone number, last name, or when I'm going to be home all alone so you can come rob my house.. or set it on fire.. or whatever deep dark fear I have nightmares about.

So you can all laugh at me, and I can get over it.

13 comments:

Glass House said...

Do you have the link to the KSL news report on dangers of blogging? I would like to read it :)

Rachel said...

Yep, you can find it here:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4699330
Not too worrying, but I did make some minor changes. I changed my title and blog name so it doesn't have our last name. I changed my profile name so it just says Rachel. I moderate all my comments now before they're published.. you can always delete the ones you don't like too. I turned off the feature to allow my blog to be found on search engines. Any more tips are appreciated! I don't really want to go private.. yet.

Dacia said...

I don't want to go private yet either, but I try to be really careful.

If you want to have an updated list of your blogs, you need to add a gaget called "blog list". Unless someone knows different, you have to re-enter each blog. A pain, but once it's done, a time saver. It's so nice because you can tell when each blog has been updated.

Melissa said...

It is better to be safe than sorry. I just get sick thinking someone might be looking at our kids in way that just shouldn't happen. It is so fun blogging. I'm glad there are things we can do to improve safety. You will need to ask Chantel about the tracker.

All About DOE said...

Thanks for the helpful hints. I will need to do the same.

All About DOE said...

Thanks for the report. I have changed our address. It is now allaboutdoe.blogspot.com

The Griffin Crew said...

Rachel on the bottom of my blog you can't really see the picture but it says create your own visitor map just click on it and you can make your own. I did find after i took it away from the search engine no one from crazy random places looked at my blog so i think that is good you redid your blog how did you change your blog address?

Courtney said...

I saw that KSL report too and I think you are so smart to be making these adjustments.

Looks like you figured out the blog list. Another way to see when others update their blogs is to become a follower. You do this from your dashboard. I don't think either way tracks private blogs though so if you follow a private blog you will have to remember to check that manually.

I don't know how your counter works, but mine (located at the bottom of my sidebar) tells me all sorts of things like the location of the people who are looking at my blog, how they got to my blog, what they looked at while at my blog, and how long they looked. It is not only interesting but really good information to keep an eye on.

Jamie said...

I would love to learn how to see when people update to. Any help would be great. I understand the paranoid thing. I went through it the other day too. Like everyone has said, better to be safe than sorry and good job on changing your address yourself! You're pretty smart:)

Melissa said...

I changed the low to persons on my blog address.

Denise said...

I have been so worried about all the wackos out there who might be after my kids! I am so close to going private. I think it is a pain for those who do follow your blog because they have to log in to see if you have updated. It is so scary though!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I am the loser not checking my blog! Looks like you figured out the friends list. I love it. I love the bog layout as well..you have good taste :)

Annie said...

RACH! I LOVED your flash back to highschool post... I laughed and laughed! You silly, I thought it was so funny. CUte blog!

Jen said...

Rachel, you are so funny! As we discussed before, I was never mad! I think you made smart changes and I wish you wouldn't have deleted that post! Very funny!